For many people, divorce is the most traumatic event in their lives.
However, contrary to what the media would have you believe about divorce, it does not have to be a time-consuming, contentious, and costly process.
If you and your spouse would like to separate, it is in your best interests to speak to an experienced attorney about mediation.
Unlike divorce, mediation is informal and focuses on resolving issues in a manner that is beneficial to all parties involved, especially children.
Here are 6 reasons why you should choose mediation in Monterey divorce:
- Takes less time — Depending on your situation, using the courts to settle your divorce can last months or even longer. Mediation, on the other hand, is a relatively quick process that takes place over the course of several short sessions. During these sessions, you and your spouse work with a neutral mediator that helps you focus on the issues at hand so that you can part ways amicably.
- Less expensive — A contested divorce can be unreasonably expensive. If you and your spouse disagree on property division, child custody, or other issues, legal fees can quickly add up. Mediation is a much more affordable and informal option that often has better results than a standard divorce.
- Private — Mediation also ensures that your privacy is secure. Unlike a traditional divorce that has spouses airing grievances before the courtroom for the world to see and hear, mediation takes place behind closed doors with a neutral mediator.
- Puts your children first — The mediation process puts the best interests of children above all else. The process focuses on creating a dynamic that benefits children and protects their safety and well-being.
- Empowering and fair — Through mediation, you and your spouse are in control of your divorce. You discuss the issues and, with the help of the mediator, find solutions.
- Higher rate of compliance — Couples who choose mediation over divorce typically have a higher rate of compliance.
Marriages end for a variety of reasons. While mediation is more affordable, less time-consuming, and easier for children, it is not for everyone.
For more information about the process, consult with a knowledgeable attorney.
Contact our Monterey mediation lawyer today
For more than 20 years, Giuliano Law has provided experienced divorce counsel to clients throughout Hollister, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Monterey, and San Benito counties.
To discuss your case with a skilled Monterey mediation attorney, call (831) 372-4003 or contact us online.