Whether your divorce happens suddenly because of infidelity, or over the course of many years because of incompatibility, you need serious legal help. Do not make the mistake of thinking that you can represent yourself. You need a clear-headed professional who can make rational decisions that are not clouded by emotions. Remember, even the best divorce lawyers in the world still hire counsel when they divorce.
Dangers of representing yourself
You need to ask yourself, What’s the worst that could happen? Then, you need to be prepared for that outcome if you choose to represent yourself. Some of the key issues you will likely encounter if you handle your divorce on your own include:
- You can lose your case — Without experienced divorce counsel, you risk losing everything — division of property and assets, child custody, spousal support, etc.
- Higher chance of error — Are you aware of California’s strict procedures and timing requirements for divorce? If your divorce paperwork is filled out incorrectly, it will delay or nullify your attempt.
- Overlooked tax concerns — One of the things that many DIY divorcers forget to look at are taxes. It is imperative that you understand tax law and how your marital and non-marital assets are affected.
- Hidden fees — Unless you are an experienced divorcer, you are probably unfamiliar with the process and the many fees. Many people think they are saving money by not hiring counsel until the fees start adding up.
- A fair settlement is harder to reach —You are probably not a negotiator. And you probably do not have an in-depth understanding of divorce law. Without these two key characteristics, you will have a hard time reaching a fair settlement. An experienced lawyer, on the other hand, knows the territory well and can deftly negotiate a fair divorce agreement.
- Preparing and arguing your case requires knowledge and skill — Representing a client in a divorce proceeding is a lot of work. In fact, it is a full-time job. You need to prepare and argue your case, research legal procedures, etc. Given what is or may be at stake (your house, car, children), it is in your best interests to hire a seasoned divorce lawyer.
Divorce is devastating affair. Not only is it emotional and tiring, it involves the division of two intertwined and complicated lives. With the help of an experienced family law attorney, you can increase your chances of settling on a divorce agreement that is fair and acceptable.
Contact respected divorce attorneys in California
At Giuliano Law Firm, our attorneys are known for providing personalized, effective divorce counsel. Whether you need help filing for divorce, or resolving a child custody dispute, you can count us on to provide you with experienced guidance. Call (831) 257-8692 or contact us online to discuss your case with a knowledgeable attorney.